Random writing that I had to do for a class. Enjoy!
“Aria.”
I could feel heat, the telltale fury, rushing through my cheeks and up my neck at the masculine voice that dared to utter my name. With a slight pause I forced myself to resume walking; it was only a few more steps to my car, where I could surely lose him before he provoked me to anger. The click of my heels increased in volume as I lengthened my strides.
“Hey, Aria?” The voice was timid, and sounded either hurt or slightly offended at my obvious choice to ignore him. “Aria, please wait up!”
That was it. I came to a halt, my last step causing my heel to clop loudly against the pavement. I inhaled the musty scent of the parking garage to keep from losing myself as I pivoted towards him.
“Why are you here?” I kept my tone calm and low, and put on an emotionless mask as my gaze settled on his copper-tinted hair. Even as I attempted to disconnect my sense of awareness from the upcoming conversation, I could feel his hesitation rippling in torrents of apprehension.
“Uh…I just-…”
“Spit it out, Ackerly, come on.” I tapped my foot, desperately playing the part of a bored teacher or an exasperated parent, anyone who was not me, and who was not emotionally compromised in this situation.
“I just wanted to see how you were doing, Aria.” The honesty dripped from his voice. Why did he have to make it so hard?
“Oh, I’m doing alright, just got out of a job interview,” I switched to my happy everything-is-going-fabulous voice, hoping it would satisfy his question.
His forehead crinkled slightly, directly below the hairline I’d forced myself to stare at. A sympathetic/hurt expression had just found itself on his face. I knew him too well; it was an unfortunate side effect of trusting him as my best friend for seven years of my life.
I shifted my purse back onto my right shoulder. “Well, I’ve got to get to the university, there’s a test I’ve got to study for and-…”
He suddenly put his hands on my shoulders, and put his face directly in front of mine, where my vision crossed paths with his eyes. The amiable green eyes that used to brighten my day. The same green eyes that I’d refused to look into for the past five months. The fury I had barely managed to keep down worked its way back up.
“I told you never to come near me again!” I knocked his hands away. “What are you really doing here? Waiting for the opportune moment?”
“Aria…” His voice cracked.
I compelled myself to look unfalteringly into his eyes. “Jason might not have been able to fight back, he might have believed that you would have eventually come for him,” My fists clenched at my sides. “But I know the truth.”
Hurt. It filled his horribly beautiful green eyes. But his voice grew stronger. “You never gave me a chance.”
“A chance?” A rather harsh laugh escaped from within me. “Funny I should offer you a chance when you refused Jason one by betraying him.”
“You know the truth, you just refuse to believe it.”
“You’re right, I do know the truth.”
He sighed and cast his gaze downward. “I wish you only believed it. Believed me.”
I shoved him backward. “How can I believe you? You killed my brother, Liam!” I shook with rage. “You let him die when he needed you the most!”
Liam looked back up, but was suddenly fixated on a point over my shoulder. His eyes grew wide and he shoved me behind a car, yelling instructions over the abrupt deafening sound of gunfire. I heard nothing of what he said. I only saw his deep, caring eyes as he drew his own gun, and ran out into the pandemonium.
1 comment:
Wow! And this was an assignment? You should definitely write more of this!
Post a Comment