(Since I gave myself such short notice on this challenge, I'm going to give myself an easy first prompt. :) ) ((Beware typos - unedited!))
My take on writing.
Though I've only declared my love of writing for about ten years now, I've always haboured a love for storytelling, an adoration for the crispness and endless possibilities of the unbridled imagination. I certainly didn't always feel too sympathetic about the cause of writing during my early childhood; I actually hated to submit to writing of any form from the time I learned to construct sentences until I was about eight or nine. But, I was born with an imagination that could take me anywhere. And with that imagination, I would run across valleys, free-fall through the air, build cities and lands, and bring characters to life with my spoken words and occasional melodrama. :)
My stories and imagined worlds were beginning to mesh together in my mind, and in order to recall them correctly, I was forced to write them down. Somewhere in this process, I discovered that I could add details and visualize them slightly better in the written form. Soon enough, I couldn't stop writing. More ideas poured from my mind faster than my small hands could scratch them down on a battered notebook with Cerulean blue ink. I finished a small piece that I had dreamt up called "Hayden's Committment", when I was about eleven. I gave it to my mother for her birthday, but have since stolen it back and given it a proper burial. Upon my turning thirteen, I was ashamed at my silly childish writings etched out in ink on my crumpled lined paper. To this day, I still have a scrap or two of that story, and wish I had kept it all, if nothing else, to show myself how I've improved. Many projects of mine have been ceremoniously burnt once I "discovered" the awful quality of the writing. :) It is certainly a growing process.
The way I perceive writing today, is a mixture of an art and a lifestyle. Anyone can write. But a true writer possesses the drive and passion it takes to develop an ability or talent into an authentic art. I write not only to be heard, but to express myself; sometimes I write simply for my own benefit, to release emotions in a constructive way. To me, writing is breathing.
No comments:
Post a Comment